Thursday, August 08, 2019

Movie review - "Night in Paradise" (1946) *

This was a hard slog. True, I didn't see a very good print but I got the gist of the story, which was long, boring and dull. Also confusing. 

I wasn't sure what time period this was set in. I'd heard about Aesop and Croesus, but the film had a la la land time and place, not in a good way.

The story is convoluted - Aesop turns up in disguise, there's Merle Oberon as a princess, Aesop turns handsome... it's like Beauty and the Beast in reverse. I wasn't sure what was going on or what the stakes were. It goes on forever. There's not enough Gale Sondegaard villainy. There's too much bland Merle Oberon and blander Turhan Bey - if you like them you'll enjoy this more. I missed Maria Montez and Jon Hall. Those films had action and excitement - also Sabu brought a lot to the party. Not so here.

Ugh. Yuck.

No comments: