Sunday, August 11, 2019

Movie review - "I'm Nobody's Sweetheart Now" (1940) **

Cheery, bright comedy from Universal directed by Arthur Lubin who was, in hindsight, at his youthful peak. It's a sham romance comedy with football star Dennis Okeefe (not really a believable footballer but he doesn't have to play any games on screen) pretending to romance Helen Parrish so her father will support his father's political career... which annoys his girlfriend, Constance Moore, and her boyfriend, Lewis Howard (who I kept thinking was a young Broderick Crawford).

It's the sort of movie where you go "yeah I get it" until you think about it too much. I mean, stuff his father for a political career, and stuff her father - surely they could have thought of a better reason for the deception?

Also Lubin's affection for his characters mean we get to know and like Moore and Howard and feel really bad that O'Keefe and Parrish are loving the deception - we feel really sorry for them. At least I did. OKeefe and Parrish are really horrible people But because it moves so fast that doesn't sink in. Moore sings a few songs so I guess this is a musical.

No comments: