Friday, August 23, 2019

Movie review - "My Blood Runs Cold" (1965) **1/2

A real surprise - I don't want to overpraise this but I found it to be a tight, unpretentious thriller with a decent idea and novelty casting. Heiress Joey Heatherton - in her first lead - is engaged to Nicholas Coster but then meets Troy Donahue who is convinced they were lovers in a past life.

That's not a bad set up for a psycho thriller and you've got Barry Sullivan and Jeanette Nolan adding heft as her parents. Its atmospheric, Donahue is used well - it's one of his most effective performances (a low bar to jump over I know but still...). Heatherton is maybe too confident - she has a great dancer's body shown off when she and Troy go swimming (he's sucking in the gut a bit). But she's not bad.

The location filming on the Monterey coast helps - boats and rocky shores and inlets and stuff. I wish Sullivan or Coster had been really bad and that Heatherton was more involved in the climax but this was entertaining -I put it on to watch for a bit and saw the whole thing.

No comments: