Saturday, August 29, 2020

Radio play review - Marlowe#4 - "The Lady in the Lake" by Raymond Chandler (warning: spoilers)

 Solid Marlowe - this was a decent adaptation but I think I preferred the book, where the lake sequences felt creepier and the cop antagonist scarier. Those are the two most memorable things about this. It only just hit me why this novel/story doesn't hit the great heights - the character of Mildred, who kills a doctor's wife and another man, is barely seen - most of what she does is off stage. If Chandler had found a way to keep her alive a little more I think people would go for this more. (NB I didn't have this problem with the enigmatic Reagan in The Big Sleep maybe because there were other vivid characters and also Marlowe was a newer version of Reagan).

No comments: