Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Movie review - "The Belles of St Trinians" (1954) ***

 Playfully anarchic comedy about a girls boarding school where the staff and students are out of control. Everyone smokes, bets. The girls torture each other to get information. Belinda Lee is sent to seduce a jockey. But it's not pervy because it was 1954.

There's something about the film that doesn't quite work for me. It's always in second gear. Maybe because the girls aren't the focus, they're background. It needed to be Marx brothers. But it's too... I don't know, polite. Maybe it's too much on the men - Alistair Sim in drag, George Cole - and not enough on the female teachers.

I'm not an Alistair Sim fan, I'm discovering. Something about him is just irritating. He seems to slow down the action. That could be it, for me - Sim fans would feel otherwise.

Some of it is very funny and I love the anarchy and lack of scruple. Maybe it's the direction. I don't know, just being honest.


No comments: