Friday, April 01, 2011

Radio review – Lux – “Wuthering Heights” (1954) ***

Cameron Mitchell isn’t a name that registered strongly with me – I had a memory of him supporting in some "A" films and starring in a lot of schlock – so I was surprised to read a Tom Weaver interview with him where he spoke about this awesome reputation as an actor he once had. Well, it must have been true if he was picked to act opposite Merle Oberon in Laurence Olivier’s old part (I googled Mitchell – apparently he was the original Happy in Death of a Salesman on Broadway). 

Actually Mitchell isn’t bad – he’s not Olivier but he does all the glowering intensity and passion quite well. (The actor I really would have liked to hear in this part was Robert Newton who apparently Wyler considered briefly for the film version). Oberon is adequate – her beauty can’t help her out on radio. An interesting production; it still works even if you miss Gregg Tolland’s photography. 

Sam Goldwyn appears at the end talking about his upcoming production of Guys and Dolls; it was the first time I’d actually heard him speak, and his English was still very accented.

No comments: