Saturday, April 09, 2011

Script review – “The Howling” by John Sayles (warning: spoilers)

I was never that big a fan of the film and didn’t love the screenplay. It’s written with Sayles’ customary intelligence and skill but for some reason it didn’t come alive. I couldn’t put my finger on it. The story is about a woman reporter who puts herself in a great deal of risk confronting a rapist killer – he attacks her but get shot, so she heads to a Colony run by her doctor to get better. She finds out the colony is full of werewolves. This is meant to be tongue in cheek but I didn’t get that impression reading it. It felt fairly serious; the death toll isn’t that high but it has a heavy mood because of the opening sequence, and the fact that the lead is so traumatised. Also her marriage is suffering, her husband and good friend die (the friend quite bloodily), and she has herself killed on national television (a terrific ending). I think people were distracted by the satire of therapy groups and the fact that so many characters are named after the director of werewolf films: Lew Landers, Roy William Neill, George Waggner, John Brahm, Erle Kenyon, Charlie Barton. There are some good bits – like the white trash nympho (her love scene is the bit I remember most from the movie), the ending, the imagination. Like all successful werewolf films it’s essentially a tragedy. But I can’t help it, I enjoyed Piranha more (maybe escaped-animals-going-down-river simply had more built-in pace.

No comments: