Sunday, April 24, 2011

Play review – “Me Pregnant” by Nick Coyle (seen April 23, 2011 at Old Fitz)

Entertaining, weird, off the wall one-man show from Coyle, who has been described as a "cult figure" in Sydney's theatre scene - I didn't think we had such things. I don't know much about Coyl - apparently he didn't go to drama school even though he's very talented, with a great voice and acting ability - he struck me as one of those brilliant kids I occasionally worked with doing law revues who never had the careers they should have due to apathy. Being a "well-made play" kind of guy, I preferred this when the story kicked in - it's basically about a girl in a village, a bit of a nerd, who's killed a goblin. We cut between the girl and goblin's point of view. Medieval fantasy is mixed up with modern references, and it's frequently brilliant and often quite moving.

No comments: