Saturday, May 26, 2007

Movie review - "The Skeleton Key" (2005) ***


Enjoyable thriller dripping in good old fashioned creepy Southern atmosphere - decaying mansions, hidden secrets, swamps, accents,cripples and a visiting nurse (Kate Hudson). Hudson is a likeable heroine and Peter Skaarsgaard offers good support though Gena Rowlands over plays. At first I though the concept of "hoodoo" as opposed to voodoo was a bit weird (it sounds weird and reminds me of that"hoodoo/you do/do what/remind me of a man" routine in The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer) but it works. It gets a bit wonky around the time Hudson leaves the mansion but I thought the ending was very satisfying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At first I though the concept of "hoodoo" as opposed to voodoo was a bit weird (it sounds weird and reminds me of that"hoodoo/you do/do what/remind me of a man" routine in The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer) but it works.The concept?? What concept? Voodoo (or Voudon) is a RELIGION that many people practice. Hoodoo is simply another word for folk magic, whether it is West African, Native American, European, or a mixture of all.