Sunday, July 19, 2020

Movie review - "Woman in a Dressing Gown" (1957) **1/2

A fascinating film. It does stack the deck in favour of Anthony Quayle shagging his hot younger secretary - Sylvia Syms is so gorgeous, nice, understanding, and sensible... the camera loves her. At least, as directed by J Lee Thompson. She's way too hot for Anthony Quayle but I guess, class system, and Quayle is very good.

Yvonne Mitchell over acts at times as a wife - scatty, messy, clearly depressed. She never looks attractive or like someone Quayle would be with. Yet the film does give her a moment in the sun - she has a lousy life, she lost a child, her living child (Andrew Ray) is selfish. She needs a job and a sense of purpose and the film does acknowledge that.

I did feel the film lacked another character - a parent for Quayle/Mitchell maybe, or another child. Or maybe just flesh out the ones that are there.

I like J. Lee Thompson's direction. He moves the camera around which I feel helps the material. But he lets some scenes breathe.

The film wasn't a whole success for me - I always felt Willis was a bit mean to women and the sympathies of him and Thompson was more with Quayle. Which is true but it's not black and white. I get why some people like this.

Maybe it would work more for me if I'd liked Yvonne Mitchell more - if it had been say one of the Gainsborough gals. I missed Diana Dors - I'm sure Thompson thought about her for the Syms part then decided against it.

No comments: