Saturday, July 11, 2020

Movie review - "Ice Cold in Alex" (1958) ***1/2 (warning: spoilers)

Long - over two hours - and occasionally there are dull patches. Anthony Quayle's South African accent takes some listening to. But it benefits from location work in Libya. Gorgeous photography. Some ideal gritty "sand" action stuff - sand dunes, quick sand, wind.

Sylvia Syms is shot lovingly - someone was in love with her, the cameraman or J Lee Thompson. She gets countless gazing close ups. I'm not complaining, mind. She's beautiful - especially when handing over a cigarette. (Aside: Syms seemed to take over the "Diana Dors" parts in J. Lee Thompson's oeuvre around this time. Coincidence? Dors being in America?)

It's a shame she doesn't have a more sexually charged leading man than John Mills - who seems far more interested in Anthony Quayle. It's good work from Mills, though - playing an alcoholic gives him something to sink his teeth in to. (Though the film kind of celebrates his alcoholism - being about the pursuit of a beer. Mind you it does make for a very satisfying ending. I don't drink but I enjoyed that beer.)

Syms' part actually isn't that great - I mean, she goes along for the ride, drives the truck at key moments - but it's not super duper involved. Harry Andrews is a passenger too. I felt maybe he should've been killed half way.

I love the moment at the end when Mills reveals to Quayle that they know he's a spy - superb acting from Quayle, staring into his glass, going "oh f*ck I thought I had it over them, and had succeeded, but I didn't and kind of to make it worse they've even helped me out." It's a wonderful ending.

I'm actually sympathetic to the US wanting to cut it but to 80 minutes??

No comments: