Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Movie review - "The Shop at Sly Corner" (1947) **1/2 (warning: spoilers)

I mostly watched this because it was the first screen role for Diana Dors, who has a scene - as a floozy (surprise) the gal of slimy blackmailer Kenneth Griffith.

This is a pretty decent thriller. I was distracted by Oscar Homolka's moustache. The girl violinist he's Doing It All For is dull as his her boyfriend. Griffith is splendid fun,  a wonderful sleazebag - the film never really recovers from his death. I wish there had been a second villain maybe to come along.

The story feels familiar - ex crim gone respectible, blackmailer, sympathetic murder, violinst - but maybe this was imitated. The acting is solid. I wasn't that familiar with the work of director George King but felt he does a good job.

Boris Karloff played the lead on Broadway and once I read that it did make me wish he'd done this film.

No comments: