Monday, April 17, 2017

Script review - "The Thing from Another World" by Charles Lederer (1951)

I have fond memories of the Howard Hawks (alright... Christian Nyby) film... but was surprised to find I didn't enjoy the script. Densely written in the fashion of the time - lots of description and big print and dialogue.

The story holds - it's very powerful, with a group of scientists and army men trapped in an Arctic base with a creature running loose. The romance between the main guy Hendry and the one girl isn't too great - at one stage he punches her in the stomach. (And he stuffs a lot of things up, blowing up the saucer.) The scientist is less of a loon than I remembered from the film - he has an arguable point of view. The journalist character got on my nerves - was he needed for the drama? Although I did like how they made him brave - a war veteran like his mates. I had trouble telling the other characters apart.

There's some bright dialogue, and everyone in the movie is smart. It's a solid "siege" picture.


No comments: