Saturday, October 23, 2010

Play review – “Wishful Drinking” by Carrie Fisher

Carrie Fisher seemed vagued out for a lot, and when she sings it's like watching a Carrie Fisher impersonator - but it's Carrie Fisher. She could get a show alone out of just being the child of Eddie and Debbie - throw in Star Wars, Paul Simon, writing Postcards from the Edge, drugs and shock therapy, a gay husband, a friend who died in bed next to her... and the show could have gone for twice as long. (There was no mention of Shampoo, Dan Ackroyd and the SNL crowd, etc.)
 Lots of fun, full of pain and self-deprecating humour - there's something very Aussie about Carrie Fisher. I thought I knew a fair bit about her but there was stuff unfamiliar to me - involving Eddie Fisher's other kids, her pre-Star Wars career (I didn't know she studied in London), the battles with mental issues, the relationship with Paul Simon. The second half had some real emotion - I think it was a mistake to start with a Q and A and bring up the dead friend at the beginning. Lots of classic lines rather than a true narrative, but come on, it's Carrie Fisher.
 The performance I saw had an appearance by Rufus Wainwright - which didn't really have impact because I didn't know what he looked like. She puts on the Leia wig, recites her plea to Obi-Wan and has a go at George Lucas, which surprised me. (Seen on Oct 12 at the State Theatre)

No comments: