Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Play review - "Rhinestone Rex and Miss Monica" by David Williamson (2010)

 An enjoyable surprise from Mr Williamson - low key, simple and different. It's boy meets girl - he's a chippy who loves country and western and has a disabled son, she's a former vionlist who loves high class novels and classical music. They both live in Sydney's inner west and she doesn't have that much money so it's not exactly "Uptown Girl" but I love that they had different professions at least and Williamson seems to have done his research on music. 

I felt maybe it ended to soon - like they should've gotten together earlier broken up then gotten back together  - and also there were moments I feel missed. I know it was a two hander but I would've loved to have heard about her dealings with his son and wife, and him with her ex. I think Williamson would've gotten great stuff out of that. 

But easily among the better of his later plays.

No comments: