Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Play review - "Amigos" by David Williamson (2004)

 I saw this on stage. It's a mixed bag. It's not terrible - there's some funny lines. No one talks about climate change.

It's about three men who were part of a four man rowing crew. One is dead, one is a drop out the other two are alphas... one is a surgeon the other a banker. 

Williamson doesn't really do much with the Olympic thing. I did like they won bronze. But really they could have been in any football team or even just at school. I felt like it was an opportunity missed.

It felt like it needed another few drafts. I think he could have played it all out in real time he didn't need to have all these short scenes and time jumps. It lacked something. Maybe the wife of the investment banker should have turned up with her tantric sex boyfriend - they sounded fun. Or more of a reveal. Or maybe the boyfriend of the dead rower. You didn't get much of a sense of friendship between the men.

I wish the younger wife didn't turn out to be a former hooker and that the wife we see wasn't a tired middle aged bitch. I did like the drop out character - the way he talked emotionally about his son was some nice writing.

Like I say, mixed bag. Williamson needed someone to push him more on this one.

No comments: