Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Movie review - "Slave Girl" (1947) **1/2

Late 40s Yvonne de Carlo film from Universal which I thought would be more fun than it was especially after I heard the film was reshot to add more comedy including adding a talking camel. The talking camel inserts feel really clunky and dumb and the film lacks a certain spark.

I mean, it's got things I like - it's set on the Barbary Coast (there was a vogue for films set during the Barbary War during the late 1940s), there are dancing girls and Yvonne de Carlo, Andy Devine does some comic relief, it's in colour, it's an "Eastern".

But there's also things that don't work - Broderick Crawford tries to do comic relief, de Carlo's performance lacks a little spark, male lead George Brent it too old and lumbering for all his legendary off screen charm.

Maybe my view was hurt by the fact the print wasn't very good so I didn't get the full impact of the photography. But it is all over the place. Never quite gets its groove.

No comments: