Thursday, April 18, 2019

Book review - "Dealing: or the Berkeley-to-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues" by Michael Douglas (Donald and Michael Crichton)

Interesting, I'll give it that - the Crichton brothers wrote this together. Michael never wrote much about drugs in his other books, apart from lots of cigarettes and alcohol, so I'm guessing the drug stuff came from Donald.

It's got lots of slang - "pigs", "bricks", "groovy" and the like. I'll take their word for it that it's realistic. It feels "written" rather than organic though. There's some free love, corrupt cops, some kind of interesting details on how to smuggle marijuana. It only got interesting when the love interest girl was arrested but that happens towards the end and the pace picked up.

I found it a hard slog to be honest but I didn't get much out of the book - either as a social tract, character study or simple page turner. I didn't particularly care about any of the characters all the world. Maybe if it had been told from the POV of the corrupt cop... at least he had some drive and ambition. 

No comments: