Monday, October 04, 2021

Movie review - "HealtH" (1980) **

 Robert Altman does a Nashville on a health food convention - apparently there are such things - only I think ti's a metaphor for a political convention. The various candidates include Glenda Jackson and Laura Bacall, with people like James Garner, Paul Dooley Alfre Woodard and Carole Burnett helping and/or running interference. Dick Cavett has quite a large role as himself.

It is bright and lively but I couldn't get into it. It's like watching some stage play where the jokes fly across my head. I didn't mind it - it's colourful, the actors are good, I enjoyed the Florida locations (the budget was $6 million which isn't bad) - but it was meh. I don't think it's held in high regard amongst Altman fans but I could be wrong. As Patrick McGilligan said in his Altman bio, it feels like a first draft.

This was the last of five films Altman made for 20th Century Fox. After this he did Popeye then it was off to independence land.

No comments: