Friday, September 25, 2020

Movie review - "Tarzan's Greatest Adventure" (1959) **** (re-viewing) (warning: spoilers)

 I'm really enjoying re-watching John Guillermin's movies. This was great. When I watched it again I wasn't impressed as I was when I first saw it - because that was off the back of seeing the Tarzan movies in chronological order, and I noted how the quality kept falling and this was such a leap back to form. So I didn't have that context. But as the film went along it just kept being great.

The photography helps - that wonderful Ted Scaife grainy colour. Location filming in Kenya is a plug (though there's a fair bit of studio work). Simple story but full of novelty - Tarzan speaks English, helps out the local district officer, he is injured with blood. 

The villains are outstanding - Anthony Quayle, Sean Connery, Nial MacGuinness, Al Mulcock, sexy Scilla Gabel. I liked Sara Shane as Tarzan's busty, feisty love interest  - they have sex. Scott isn't an awesome Tarzan - he seems like a bodybuilder rather than someone living in the jungle - but he's fine.

Tough action. Love the ending where Tarzan kills Quayle and does his yell.

No comments: