Monday, September 21, 2020

Movie review - "Rapture" (1965) ** (warning: spoilers)

 Odd film. It's head scratching why Fox made it. I know Zanuck was on a French kick but still... Maybe he liked the idea of Patricia Gozzi having a crush on runaway crook Dean Stockwell. Rozzi is barely legal - actually I don't think she is legal. I think she was 14 when she made this and she gets into bed with Stockwell for the third act.

I wasn't sure if she was meant to be insane but I think it was reality. I mean here is a girl who makes a scarecrow and thinks Stockwell is the scarecrow. Was he into her or not? I wasn't sure.

Melvyn Douglas isn't that French as her dad but he's fine - just old to have a 14 year old daughter.  Gunnel Lindblom is Gozzi's hot nanny.

John Guillermin directed this. He throws in atmosphere, moves the camera, does a good job. He doesn't get the DNA of the film - presuming that was possible.

It might have been better had they made this a more conventional thriller - girl in love with man on the run. But it's unclear abuot the other character's motivations.

I didn't mind this for a while but eventually got sick of it.

No comments: