Friday, January 04, 2019

Script review - "The Front Runner" by Jason Reitman, et al

This film didn't do much business when it came out - maybe everyone's weary of politics in the age of Trump, at least not without very strong reviews - but I found it a smart, entertaining, thought provoking script. It looks at the 1988 Presidential campaign by Gary Hart, a charismatic democrat whose career was derailed by reports of infidelity.

Interestingly the film doesn't flat out confirm this - it does imply it, I mean she's hanging around at all hours, and Hart is cagey. He doesn't come across terribly - but he's not a hero. He's cranky and a bit of a dill. I don't think the film says "coverage of private lives is bad". I think it's more complex than that.

It's a smart movie and I wish it had done better.

No comments: