Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Movie review - "Raptor" (2001) *1/2

I wanted to enjoy this more than I did - truly. It's got Eric Roberts and Corbin Bernsen, plus Lorissa McCommas giving quite a sweet performance as Roberts' daughter. I'm partial to stories about escaped dinosaurs and I liked how the last act turned into Aliens with squabbling teams of special forces.

But it's a bit flat. The film feels built around stock footage of earlier Carnosaur films which is fine but what's here isn't that great. Roberts is professional, Bernsen wears a silly cap which got on my nerves but is accomplished - actually the acting by the main players is pretty good including Harrison Page from Vixen. The bit part players aren't very good - security guards and what not. A lot of them look silly holding their rifles.

I feel it's the sort of movie Jim Wynorski would have had more fun with earlier in his career. This feels more like a paycheck movie. Maybe if McCommas had been the lead and there had been more sexy girls?

I did like the bit where Roberts goes to Bernsen "I found out X on the internet" and Bernsen goes "well someone's been doing their research". Ah, 2001... when the internet was all knowing...!

No comments: