Monday, January 07, 2019

Movie review - "Kill Switch" (2008) **1/2 (warning: spoilers)

A real surprise - the bar of Steven Seagal films is very low (I don't even know why I'm working my way through the back catalogue at times... I think I blame that superb book by Vern, it was so  much fun it made me want to replicate it)... but this one is good. Mostly.

The main reason is there's plenty of tough action - lots of hard core fights, where Seagal excels, as opposed to gun fire and stunts, where his record is more patchy. The fights are well done, brutal, loud, intense. Segal is just slim enough still to get away with it.

The plot is simple - he's a detective investigating a serial killer in Memphis. There are two serial killers. And the serial killers take out women, which is depressingly bleak - it's why I gave this two and a half stars not three. There's implied torture and knives involved.

One poor woman hangs around Seagal's loft in a shirt trying to entice him to have sex but he's too driven. Then she winds up dead!

I did wish the support cast was better. It does include Isaac Hayes who is a lot of fun but his part isn't that big.

There's a truly bizarre ending where loner Seagal is revealed to have a hot blonde wife and a kid living in a house some distance away.  The blonde wife does a strip tease dance for him and roll credits. WTF???

But considering most of his films around this time, this was pretty good.

No comments: