Monday, August 06, 2018

Random thoughts on the Doors -

Inspired by watching When You're Strange...

I think I was attracted to the band in part because it had broken up. You could study within a self contained format. Also the music was distinctive but covered a few genres - pop, rock and roll...

The first album "The Doors" is great.

"Break on Through" is a fun opening track - good choice for a first single. I loved The Simpsons episode where Krusty sang it. "Soul Kitchen" is fun - you can hear why the riff was sampled. "The Crystal Ship" is fine. "20th Century Fox" has stuck in my head because of the film studio. I love the version of "Alabama Song". I was actually never that huge a fan of "Light My Fire" but it is a good song. "Back Door Man" is an insight to what the band would become. "I Looked At You" is fine, ditto "End of the Night" (very spooky) and "Take It as It Comes".

"The End" is sensational. I remember playing it in a darkened house - that opening twang. It gives you shivers.

Second album - "Strange Days" - also fantastic.

It didn't have a huge single but "Love Me Two Times" and "People Are Strange" became classics (I love the latter's use in The Lost Boys). The song "Strange Days" is fun. Some wistful tunes like "You're Lost Little Girl" and "Unhappy Girl" and "I Can't See Your Face in My Mind". "Horse Latitudes" is some ranting but "Moonlight Drive" is awesome. "My Eyes Have Seen You" is fine and "When the Music's Over" a decent second-tier epic.

Third album - "Waiting for the Sun" - not bad.

I've never been a huge fan of the big hit, "Hello I Love You"... but it's a track that has never left my brain. There's a few songs I"m not wild about - "Summer's Almost Gone", "Wintertime Love". "Love Street" is cute and "Not to Touch the Earth" has stayed with me; "The Unknown Soldier" is catchy as is "Spanish Carvan". I don't mind "My Wild Love" and "We Could Be SoGood together". "Yes the River Knows" is interestingly random. "Five to One" a solid anthem.

But for some reason this album doesnt get me like some of the others.

Fourth album - "The Soft Parade". No one really likes this one. It's used when people over praise Robbie.

I love the song "Touch Me" - some people think it's too poppy but it's great. "Tell All the People" gets the album off to a bad start. "Shaman's Blues" is okay but "Easy Ride" good. "Do It" is okay. "Wild Child" is a good song with a catchy riff. "Runnin Blue", "Wishful Sinful" are so-so (the latter feels tired)... I didn't mind the anthem "The Soft Parade". It's not as bad as it's rep.

Fifth album - "Morrison Hotel". Amazing. My favourite.

I can't believe "Roadhouse Blues" wasn't a massive hit. "Waiting for the Sun" is great though it feels like it should be on an earlier album. "You Make Me Real" and "Peace Frog" are brilliantly catchy. "Blue Sunday" is fine. "Ship of Fools", "Land Ho", "The Spy" and "Queen of the Highway" are solid. "Indian Summer" is brilliant - one of my all time favourites. "Maggie M'Gill" is cute.

Final album - "LA Woman". Another masterpiece.

Everyone loves "Riders on the Storm" but for me "LA Woman" is the standout. "Love Her Madly" is quite chirpy. "The Changeling" is fine (great riff) but "Been Down So Long" "Cars Hiss By My Window" "l"America" "Hyacinth House" and "Crawling King Snake" are strong rock and roll tracks. "The WASP" is super catchy although it always sounds like its the beginning of a song which is going to kick into something else.

No comments: