Sunday, July 29, 2018

Movie review - "Raising Helen" (2004) **

I remember watching the trailer for this going "is that all there is?" when they pitched the concept. Sure I buy Kate Hudson as a party girl but she seems nice and a natural mum so the thought of her being saddled with kids doesn't make me go "oh that sounds fun"... I think "oh she'll do a great job". There's no instant Uncle Buck style leaps.

Maybe there could have been if Hudson had played a real trashbag, a recovering alcoholic or something but she's just nice. It doesn't help that she isn't given a trashy friend or someone.

I get they tried to make things different by making John Corbett a man of God but he's no threat either. Just helpful.

The acting is good as usual in Gary Marshall film - there's Hayden Panettiere and Abigail Breslin among the kids.

No comments: