Friday, July 20, 2018

Movie review - "Jack Reacher" (2012) ***

I've never read the novels but based on this I think I can get what they were going for - a kind of noir, 40s/50s B movie feel - I kept thinking Robert Mitchum would have been ideal. Or Sterling Hayden or even say Randolph Scott or James Stewart.

But instead they've got Tom Cruise who is professional and is a fine actor but simply feels miscast. You don't believe him as an ex soldier or drifter. Actually I'm not sure what you believe Cruise as any more - his speciality used to be a fresh faced dude. Now he's in great shape but still old. He doesn't have his old spark. He's just kind of... nothing. And that matters in this sort of film because it's such a star vehicle.

Rosamund Pike isn't that memorable as the female lead - neither is Jai Courtney. But Werner Herzog and Robert Duvall are spot in, as is Richard Jenkins. The story isn't bad.There were unpleasant moments, like lingering over the death of a woman.

Who could've played Jack Reacher better in the style in which Chris McQuarrie presents him? Russell Crowe maybe? George Clooney? Jaimee Foxx? Denzel, Daniel Craig.. they all could've gotten it.

I didn't mind the story - though I felt it's natural home these days would be as a HBO series of TV movies. Some decent action including a car chase.

No comments: