Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Movie review - "Heaven Can Wait" (1978) ***

 Absolutely competent remake from Warren Beatty. It's fine. It doesn't break new ground in the way Bonnie and Clyde, Shampoo and Reds did but it provides an enjoyable experience.

If helps that Beatty used to play football and was just (I stress "just") young enough to believably play him on screen. The role is in his wheelhouse - befuddled anxious man in over his head.

There's an excellent support cast. Charles Grodin and Dyan Cannon are brilliant in the stand out, showiest parts. James Mason and Buck Henry are entertaining angels, and Jack Weston provides heart (when he loses his mate a second time at the end it's very moving).

The least effective for me was Julie Christie. I was put off by her perm, I admit. She doesn't have much of a role. I will say I loved her final scene with Beatty - that ending section was the best part of the film.

Some script questions from me - more impact stuff. What about Tom's existing family and friends? What about the impact of Joe's death on the team? And Vincent Gardenia's cop character took over too much at the end for a character we don't meet until late.

But charming and pleasant in the way Town and Country and Love Affair weren't.

No comments: