Saturday, February 22, 2020

Movie review - Godzilla#7 - "Ebirah, Horror of the Deep" (1966) ***

Probably my least favourite Japanese Godzilla to date. It's cheaper which is a shame - but I don't think a lower budget is part of the problem. It's not that dramatic - too many scenes of characters poking around the island base. And too many characters. I like that it's an island movie but feel more could have been done with the robbery plot and with the James Bond like bad guys on the island - I mean, they had real potential, but it's not exploited.

The twins in the pearl who look after Mothra are back but played by different actors who aren't as good. I wish the leads on the yacht were differentiated more . The concept of a sea monster taking on Godzilla is great but they don't do enough with the water factor.

Still there are good things - that lovely 60s colour, the concept of an island Godzilla movie, the basic story is actually pretty good (it's potential is not realised), Kumi Mizuno is a winning native girl,  I liked that the baddies were making heavy water for a nuclear bomb and the ticking clock was literally a bomb, I loved Mothra coming to the rescue picking up people in a net and how she and Godzilla still didn't get along, the lobster sea monster is charming (if funny rather than scary). So I'm giving it three stars even though in it's heart this is probably more two and a half stars.


No comments: