Thursday, September 12, 2019

Movie review - "Wild Bill" (1995) **1/2

I remember hating the script for this but watching the film it was a lot better. There are jazzy visuals - flashbacks, black and white stuff - but most of all a really superb cast. Jeff Bridges is a strong Bill, Ellen Barkin a superb Calamity Jane, John Hurt fine, good turns from James Remar, James Gammon, Diane Lane. Donna from West Wing pops up.

Hill shoves in tricks to keep the viewer interested - lots of Hickok's shoot outs at the beginning,
It does get annoying that David Arquette kept trying to kill Hickok and not going through with it and people hanging around a bar - the stage origins of the piece are most notable here.

Christina Applegate's character felt under ulitised.

I'm still not quite sure what the point of it is - I'm sure Hill could explain it eloquently in an interview but he doesn't do it via his film. It's amazing this was made. It's so arty.

It's very 90s in many ways - flashbacks to spiritual indians, having opium. Still, I didn't mind it as much as I thought I would.

No comments: