Monday, July 01, 2019

Movie review - "The Cincinatti Kid" (1965) ***

Lots of talent on display. Pleasant colour. Good tough handling. I wasn't wild about it - maybe too smart arsey. Maybe I'm in a non 60s mood at the moment.

Steve McQueen is good value in the role. I like that he's matched with Edward G. Robinson who is allowed to win - this was a big surprise. Karl Malden and Rip Torn are fine in their roles.  I liked Joan Blondell being given a meaty part.

Tuesday Weld is very good in a not-much part as "the nice girl" - she's really sweet. Ann Margret plays the subtext is bit too much as Malden's man eating woman who hooks up with McQueen. She's easy on the eye though.  I wondered if maybe she should have swapped roles with Weld. I think Weld would've been better as the sexy part, less obvious, and Ann Margret always made a fine "good girl" (it's just she looked like a bad girl so was cast in those roles).

Poker players presumably have a lot to say about this movie.

No comments: