Friday, May 10, 2019

Movie review - "Dr Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs" (1966) **

I used to loathe this film and I'm a fan of the first one. I'm used to it now, in particular I'm prepared for the Italian comic duo who are in it, Franci and Ciccio. It's not a very good movie but it is bright and colourful and Price is always fun.

The plot is serviceable - Goldfoot is making girl who are bombs to kill NATO generals. I missed Susan Hart as the robot but there is Laura Antonelli who is very fetching as the girl who helps and is sexually harassed by Fabian.

Fabian isn't as good a light comedian as Frankie Avalon, who brought a cartoony quality totally appropriate to the genre, but he's a solid straight man. He actually provides a good "normal" centre for the action.

I really missed Dwayne Hickman and Jack Mullaley - not only were they solid comic actors their characters gave the earlier film heart. Avalon and Hickman had a solid relationship - there's none of that here, because Fabian doesn't have much to do with the Italian duo (I'm reviewing the US version - the Italian one has more of the duo, apparently). And instead of the lovely Price-Mullaley by play there's just Price and some random Chinese dude. Why not give Price a decent sidekick? If not a comic a sexy dame?

It's helter skelter, very stupid. Honestly maybe two stars is too many but I like the period and the colour and Price, Fabian and Antonelli.

No comments: