Monday, January 01, 2018

Movie review - "Sully" (2016) ***1/2

I totally enjoyed this more than I thought I would. My expectations weren't high - Tom Hanks in another Tom Hanks-y role, being a modern day James Stewart, and I couldn't see how they could get a feature out of it. Surely there was only half an hour of plane landing?

But the twist is the film is about something we can all relate to: did I stuff up? Did I make the right decision? I.e. was Sully/Hanks right in landing the plane on the Hudson, very risk endeavour, instead of going for the airport?

The investigators are made into villains which apparently upset them but big deal - it works dramatically and I bought it. Because that's what happens once danger is passed - people nitpick and go "did you have to do it that way".

The other great universal thing about the film is the actual plane crash which is done very well. Having been on a lot of plane trips this struck home - all the little details (the procedure, the flight attendant going "Brace Brace") were great.

Occasionally the film slips into "movie" territory - I wasn't that gripped by the adventures of Average Man and his two Cap Wearing Sons (I'm still not sure what the point of this is/was... they get a lot of screentime... was it to appeal to Clint's Flyover base audience"? I was more invested in the old lady and the mum with the baby). Also the climactic hearing scene felt very "movie" - a packed house, surprise witness, etc.

But it was very well done. Hanks is extremely effective as Sully, and Laura Linney does wonders as the wife - this could be a thankless part ("thank goodness you're alright") but she makes it work and the writer gives her stuff to play with (she does her scenes with Hanks over the phone, she's freaking out, etc). Good support parts too like Molly Hagan as the flight attendant.

I only meant to watch this in instalments and wound up watching the whole thing.

No comments: