Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Movie review - "Force of Execution" (2013) *

I was a little confused by the plot of this Steven Seagal movie at first but what it boiled down to was this - he's a crime lord who retired but Ving Rhames wants to take over his old network. There's a big subplot involving a former assassin of Seagal's who is traumatised - he's played by Bren Foster, an Aussie actor. His friend is Danny Trejo, so this movie has a decent amount of B film star power.

There's a lot of scenes in strip clubs and a fair few torture scenes, which I didn't like. It was good how Foster's character had some meat on it - he was a broken, guilty man. So too did Seagal.

But I didn't like the film. It was needlessly confusing. Opportunities for emotional connection were missed. New characters came in and were given importance in an odd way which threw me - like Seagal's other sidekick. The film also had a nasty tone. There was a decent amount of action but it wasn't a terribly gripping story. I think the basis of something really awesome was there, but it didn't come together, for me at any rate.

No comments: