Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Play review - "Relative Values" by Noel Coward (1951)

 One of Coward's post-war works. A comedy. It deals with a Hollywood star which is fun but when I heard the plot I got worried - an upper class twit is getting married to a film star, who is sister to the maid of the lady of the manor. I was concerned the hero would be one of Coward's forelock tugging lower orders, who loves being a maid, and I was right.  There's also a super conservative butler.

I liked it when the Hollywood star turns up to pursue the sister. It has a bit of vim and pizzaz. There's something in the Hollywood star trying to cover up her origins. I just didn't like the ole faithful maid lovin' her mistress and the final toast against social equality. I know, that's me and that's Coward, but I can see why it wasn't a big hit.

No comments: