Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Movie review - "Pal Joey" (1957) ***

 I haven't seen the original,am prepared to believe it's a classic, this version seems like a solid star vehicle for three talents - anti hero womaniser who is really a hero (he's nice to a cat), sings at a club, has to deal with a sort of flat mate (Kim Novak) and an old flame (Rita Hayworth).

Both Hayworth and Novak are ideally cast - Hayworth as the Woman from the Past (eg Gilda) and Novak as a gorgeous not too bright thing whose looks mask her insecurity and has terrible taste in men (eg Picnic, Vertigo). Sinatra is perfectly cast too as the heel. He has some great tunes to sing like 'The Lady is a Tramp'. Novak works well. Hayworth had lost her zing by now. She seems flat. Still looks good.

Watching this it hit me. I don't really like Frank Sinatra. I respect his talent - he can act and sing. But I don't like to be around him. I'm sure he'll live.

No comments: