Sunday, June 20, 2021

Movie review - "Interiors" (1978) ***

 I'll admit this is my "broccoli" Woody Allen. I admire it. Know it's good for me. But it doesn't do it for me.

The ambition was wonderful. Gutsy move. He doesn't take these risks anymore.

Extremely well acted. How good wasDiane Keaton? Mary Beth Hurt is excellent as well. Geraldine Page, Maureen Stapleton. Kristin Griffith is good too though she has a less well fleshed out part - the hot sister, who suffers a rape attempt from Richard Jordan (a striking scene).

People talk in slightly expressionistic dialogue which takes a little time to get used to.

Allen later said he wished he'd introduced Maureen Stapleton's character earlier. He was right. I also wish he'd resolved more subplots (eg Jordan-Keaton, Hurt-Sam Waterston).

Beautiful photography and production design.

I think my main problem with the movie is this... it felt skin deep. Page was a perfectionist, Jordan is a bitter critic, Hurt is lost,Griffith insecure, Stapleton loud... and that's about it.

I enjoyed it. Admired it. But it's broccoli.

No comments: