Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Movie review - "Another Woman" (1988) ****

 Everyone has their random Woody Allen favourites, this is one of mine - a drama which for me brings it all together. He uses many familiar tropes but does them well.

Casting Gena Rowlands in the lead gives it freshness because she seems harsh, she is older - it's about turning fifty. Having older people in the movie feels different - Blythe Danner (old friend), Ian Holm, Betty Buckley.

I loved Martha Plimpton as Holm's daughter, Holm ("I accept your condemnation"), Sandy Dennis as an intense actor, Harris Yulin as Rowland's failure brother. Just great to see less familiar actor in these roles.

I loved the jumping around in time and the use of "Gymnopedie" one of my favourite pieces.

I really like this movie. Always had. I works for me in a way that September didn't. Maybe it's the focus on the one person.

Random aside: the film is about a cold person learning to embrace passion. We would see how this would impact Woody's life in a big way in a few years... Also the lead based on him has a step daughter who thinks she's (he's) awesome.


No comments: