Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Movie review - "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask)" (1972) **1/2

 Anthology movie consisting of seven sketches. A big hit for Woody Allen. Eveyone's got their own favourites. Woody Allen as a jester is a fun concept and that bit has some okay moments. Gene Wilder is hilarious falling for a sheep (why didn't he and Allen work together again? Wilder does Allen's work perfectly). The European cinema sketch is dull. Lou Jacobi in a woman's dress is awful. I wasn't wild about 'What's My Perversion' but I know lots liked it. I enjoyed Woody in an old dark house with John Carradine as a mad scientist. And the last sketch with Tony Randall, Burt Reynolds, etc is a masterpiece.

Apparently Elliot Gould once optioned the book before selling it to UA, who gave it to Allen. Gould would've been great in this - indeed in any Allen film. It's a shame they haven't worked together. I think Allen wanted him for Deconstructing Harry.

No comments: