Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Movie review - "Flying Deuces" (1939) **

I've never seen a Laurel and Hardy film before - at least, not that I can remember. I didn't really enjoy it. I can see that they were skilled, I like their expressions, particularly Stan. But it was slight stuff. I think I like my comedies more visual.

It's not much of a story - apparently Laurel and Hardy are better in small doses. There's some sweet stuff where Ollie wants to kill himself and expects Stan to do as well.. and Stan goes along with it.

I was hoping for more French Foreign legion stuff - there's a bit in there, but it's more enlisting in arm and basic training stuff. Funny end gag with one of them being reincarnated as a horse. Jean Parker who was in so many Pine Thomas films is a love interest, only not really because she's never into Ollie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is one of the lesser L&H films. Their silent and early talkie shorts are the prime stuff, plus a handful of 1930s features like "Sons of the Desert" and "Way Out West." You might prefer the first fifteen minutes of their other Foreign Legion film -- a 1931 four-reeler called "Beau Hunks": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkFKb7GdA64