Sunday, December 17, 2017

TV review - "The Deuce - Season One" (2017) ***

So many good things going for it - the production design, costumes, acting. It's an interesting world though a bit wearying in its seediness. But I've got to admit - I didn't love it. I like more story.

For instance, we establish that Maggie Gyllenhaal (superb) doesn't want to be a prostitute, then gets interested in filmmaking, and we expect her to go off and do filmmaking. But then she isn't allowed to, she goes back to being miserable, then starts filmmaking.

Everyone looks as though they're about to do something interesting but never quite get there: the pimps who smack their women around, the college student who just kind of serves drinks and sleeps with James Franco, the gay bartender who is mostly just gay. There is a lot of openings of venues, I guess.

If you can adapt to the story telling rhythms I think you'll love it, because there's lots of good stuff. I think it just wasn't for me.

No comments: