Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Script review - "The Battle of Algiers"

I remember not loving this film when I saw it years ago - perhaps it had been over hyped before I saw it - but I was knocked out on reading the script. It's a tough, uncompromising look at the urban part of the war in Algeria. It focuses on one section - the terrorism campaign, in particular as practisde by young Ali.

The film is empathetic to the struggles of the Arabs but also the French - the commanding officer Mathieu is tough, brave, ruthless and smart. He's doing a job to finish it and if that means torture so be it. But the human face of torture is not overlooked. The incidents and writing feel well researched and believable. (I know it's based on a true story but it feels true - which isn't always the same.)

No comments: