Saturday, February 27, 2010

Movie review – “Couples Retreat” (2009) **1/2

Some talented actors, pretty surroundings and intriguing idea results in an okay enough entertainment – there are some bright lines but the filmmakers don’t really dig into the subject. The matter cried out for a bit more seriousness, or at least insight – there is some there, but it’s skin deep. All the lead actors are impressive – I think Kristen Bell is going to be a big star if she gets the right rom-com; the people at the retreat are caricatures (stuffy waiter with a secret, suave Fabio type – there’s also Temura Morrison, who does nothing). 

Probably should have busted up one of the couples. Half way through I started thinking "I wonder if Vince Vaughan and Jennifer Aniston ever went to one of these retreats" - and once I did I couldn't stop thinking that that would have made a better movie.

No comments: