Thursday, November 17, 2005

Book review - "Tomorrow, When the War Began" by John Marsden

I have to admit I have never read John Marden's book until now - it came out in the 90s when I was at uni. I missed out - this is really terrific, equal to its reputation. I actually "listened" to it on a tape audio book, with Suzanne Dougherty doing an excellent voice work as Ellie. Teenage world and country life brilliantly evoked, non judgmental, doesn't stuff around.

Why hasn't this been made into a film yet? My guess is two reasons. One - a film you'd have to show the enemy. Marsden can write about them and be vague but a film you'd have to see it, and it can't believable really be anyone other than Indonesia or Malaysia. OK maybe China I guess but I can't see the Yanks staying out of China flexing muscles. Maybe India, too - but I think the soliders would probably speak English then. So Indonesia or Malaysia - and with govt funding that's going to create an international incident.

The other reason is the book shows that America does not come to our help - which is totally accurate in terms of the first years of World War I and II. But the Americans wouldn't like to see that and so we lose the American market which I guess is what they're scared of.

But its got great characters, its visual, exciting, moving, dramatic, etc. Come on, what are we waiting for?

No comments: