Thursday, September 14, 2023

Movie review -"Get to Know Your Rabbit" (1972) **

 I get the logic. Warners go for the protest market. Tom Smothers gets a rep as an anti establishment comic (he is little known in Oz but had a variety show with his brother in the USA). Get a hot director who did a lotw budget hit with Greetings, Brian de Palma.

De Palma and Smothers didn't mesh. It's an anti establishment comedy with Smothers as a businessman who flips out. He still bangs a hot blonde... and another hot girl... and Katherine Ross as a non manic dream girl but still a dream girl.

The plot has him learn how to be a magician by Orson Welles (not a big role). He makes a success and turns into his old sold out success. I mean, yeah, I get it. I guess. I just didn't care.

There's some frantic comedy. Smothers is a bit of a charisma vacuum. John Astin hams it up as Smothers' old boss. You see people like M Emmet Walsh, Allan Garfield.

No comments: