Monday, August 28, 2023

Movie review - "Obsession" (1976) ***

 Lots of great stuff here - Bernard Herrmann doing a final score, lush camera moves, John Lithgow hamming it up with a Southern accent, knowing this was how Cliff Robertson formed a relationship with Columbia/Begelman, the riff on Vertigo. There was never a more perfect Hithcock heroine - well, brown hair aside - than Genevieve Bujold.

I didn't like it as much. Not much story. I got it. They toned down the incest but it's still there. I'm not opposed to it. Cliff Robertson maybe not quite right. I like him normally but am inclined to agree with De Palma - it needed someone else more Byronic. Who was a 70s James Mason? Mason presumably too old. 

AlsoRobertson killing Lithgow feels perfunctory. Bujold remains a cypher. I got it, I understand the film. Just didn't click. I'll give it three stars any way.

 


No comments: