Monday, April 24, 2023

Movie review - "Cavalcade" (1933) **

 Times change. Noel Coward's play was very Britain focus but this faithful film version not only won the Best Picture Oscar it was a big hit.

It was hard work. And I didn't mind reading it.

There's plenty of money and production value. Everyone commits.

But these families. Diana Wynard, strolling around, elegantly suffering as husband goes off to war, and son, and the one son dies and then the other son dies but after he's shagged her ex-servant's daughter which is apparently not on. Why doesn't she get a job.

The dull husband (Clive Brook) who I was kind of hoping would die. 

The cockney servants who get uppity when they own their own business - one becomes a boozer and dies in an accident the other is mocked for thinking her daughter has risen in the world.

I didn't care about any of them. Maybe I was in a bad mood.

No star power. The cockneys popped up in The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Frank Lloyd directed this. Two Oscars. No one much remembers him now.

Maybe you had to be there.

I really thought I'd like this more than I did.

No comments: