Saturday, June 04, 2022

Movie review - "Ninotchka" (1939) ****

 A skilfully constructed vehicle for Greta Garbo, even if it takes us 20 minutes to see her but the time is well spent, setting up the three comic commissars who arrive in Paris from Russia to get some jewels, stuff up, and so they send in Greta.

She's fine. I'm not a big Garbo fan but she is well cast. Melvyn Douglas is her co star, a part that really needs Cary Grant, but he's fine too. Lots of fun to see Bela Lugosi in one scene as Greta's boss. The wacky Russians are fine. Ina Claire is good.

I loved how every character has a strong motivation, and how Greta doesn't sell out Russia - she and Ina Claire have a terrific collision where Claire whines about having to given up her Russian home and Greta points out what pricks the aristocracy were. I love how upfront Greta is about being turned on by Melvyn Douglas from the get-go. She's a strong character.

There is a long, unfunny drunk sequence - maybe it's me but I don't think being drunk is as hilarious as Hollywood filmmakers in the 1930s did. I never got the final gag with one of the Russians wearing a sign outside. 

I don't think this film is as amazing as others do but it is very good.

No comments: