Saturday, June 04, 2022

Movie review - "The Apartment" (1960) ****1/2

 I feel guilty for writing these sort of reviews because some people are so militantly in love with this movie I feel bad going "oh yeah it's good it's fine" without being hard core about it.

The clever idea is strong and lovely, the photography is divine. Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine are beautifully cast and very cute together although she show is stolen by a superb Fred MacMurray as a complete see you next Tuesday boss.

Very adult, smart, yet also romantic. It goes for a long time, over two hours, but the resolution is satisfying. I enjoyed it more on this viewing than I have in the past. I still get frustrated by Lemmon taking so much abuse why not explaining himself.

Showy support cast: Jack Kruschen the doctor (who slaps Maclaine around post suicide - I guess this was standard at the time), MacMurray's secretary, Ray Walston, Larry Keating and the other sleazy execs.

No comments: