Thursday, December 30, 2021

Movie review - "Marie of the Isles" (1959) **

A biopic of someone called Marie Bonnard du Parquet, a wife of the governor of Martinique who I assume is more famous in France. She's played by Belinda Lee, who often played real life figures in her European movies, often notorious sex pots.

Here Marie is a serving maid who meets a handsome lout (Alain Saury) but can't marry him because she's trailer trash and he's off to run Martinique. She marries a rich baddy who doesn't consumate marriage while Suary gets involved with a chubby pirate.

I was looking forward to this as I like a pirate film but there's not enough Lee or swashbuckling. It's mostly the chubby pirate and other character actors and the budget isn't that big. It perks up towards the end. I was a little disappointed. Maybe it was more due to my expectations.

It was directed by Georges Combret.

No comments: